Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have to replace the cvt transmission in my wifes 2008 jeep…

Customer Question
I have to replace...

I have to replace the cvt transmission in my wifes 2008 jeep patriot. Is there a cvt available that has been upgraded from the poor cooling system and other problematic design flaws of this year jeep. I want to get it replaced but i dont want to spend 2000 dollars on a transmission with the same problems.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?

Its been to a shop and i agree that it needs to be replaced. it's past over heating. it drives fine for a few miles and when the fluid heats up it slips and have a hard time maintaing speeds over 30mph. there are no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

I plan to replace the transmission myself. I was on the road when all this was going on but the transmission was over heating and would go into limp mode. She brought it in and had the cooler replaced and it worked for less than a week and it started slipping so i parked it waiting for a new transmission. If there is something else i could try im game but the general concensous on these transmissions seems to be replace it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats about it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
2/7/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Brad, Dealer Technician replied 2 months ago
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician
Good evening.The newer models are still the same CVT trans, so the only suggestion I can give would be to replace the transmission and the cooler and it should last as long as your first one. We as technicians went to school to rebuild the CVT but when they started failing Chrysler demanded we not tear into them and send them complete back in to be inspected to see why it failed. Luckily now we no longer use the CVT. The 62TE Trans is a better and more fuel efficient trans.

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

I see that you have not rated my answer, do you need more help?

Brad
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician