Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

You Nissan Pintara 2011 Automatic - a large thump when

You Nissan Pintara 2011 Automatic...

You
Nissan Pintara 2011 Automatic - a large thump when accelerating hard from a standstill. Otherwise gears seem ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Seems like from the transmission...just on the other side of the firewall. Been happening since i got the vehicle back last month (I loaned it to my niece and her boyfriend for 12 months. I think it may have been thrashed)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

Nisssan Pintara super hatchback, plated december 1990

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Hatchback yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I just top up auto fluid. Leaking from base of auto dipstick.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Engine heat gauge shows mostly over half-way. Used to remain just under half-way. There's a lot of heat under the bonnet. Seems more than there should be.

1/21/2018
Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

If you sit still, and put the transmission in reverse, and then put it in drive, can you hear the noise then? Have you taken a look at the engine mounts? try that test and give it just a little bit of gas in reverse and then in drive, and leave the bonnet up and see if the engine looks like it moves more than it should when you try that. Let me know what you find there. Thank you.

Thanks, ***** ***** about the thump noise?

I believe that thumping noise could be due to the engine or transmission mounts, so I wanted to see if you could duplicate it by performing the test I mentioned. If you can duplicate the noise without the car moving, that would be beneficial to knowing exactly what is causing it.

You said it makes the noise when you start from a stop correct? so I wanted to see if it would do it, with your foot firmly on the brake shifting it from reverse to drive, then giving it just a little gas in drive to torque the engine slightly.

No worries. Sorry, as far as I knew, I was responding to your initial greeting. then the page refreshed, and I saw your next 2 comments. I'll go downstairs now and carry out the instructions.

Alright, sounds good. Thank you!

In drive, it thumped when giving it gas. In reverse, a loud squeaking and the engine seemed to lift several inches at the rear (nearest the driver).

Alright, several inches is likely going to need new engine mounts, maybe front and rear, I would recommend just going ahead and replacing all of them. as they all have the same age and mileage on them. I believe new mounts will fix your problem if the engine is moving that much on the stall test.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you and best wishes.

Edward
Thanks Edward, I appreciate your time. I'll book it in for engine mounts. Have a good rest-of-your-weekend.

Thank you, you as well.