Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota mr2 2004 Sequential trans. Sometimes will not do

Customer Question
Toyota mr2 2004 Sequential...

Toyota mr2 2004 Sequential trans. Sometimes will not do anything when starting - in neutral & brake depressed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, new battery, etc. Everything comes on. May start after a few tries. May start first time. Never know.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MR2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a Toyota dealer. They had no idea. So I'm trying to see if others have experienced the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just wondered if there is a neutral safety switch that may be defective?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/17/2018
Transmission Mechanic: AMEDEE, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

May I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Haha, guess I'll have to come back. Don't have vin with me!

Ok no problem.

JTDFR320040067766

Thank you for the VIN!

Does the starter relay click when the key is turned to the crank position?

No

Ok, remove the starter relay and check for two powers and one ground going into the female pins/cavities with the key in the crank position. There should be two powers and one ground with the key in the CRANK position.