Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Transmission doesn't shift after getting battery changed in…

Customer Question
Transmission doesn't shift after...

Transmission doesn't shift after getting battery changed in 2012 Silverado is this part of adaptive learning tranny

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

I had it done at V.I.P

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive tried nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When we drive this it doesn't seem to get out of second gear and the rpm meter shoots way up when I do . Everything was fine before the new battery that we bought because it hardly would start in the below freezing weather we have had.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
1/16/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 month ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

any check engine light on ?

what is the mileage on it ?

prior to battery all was good ?

what engine you have ?

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW THE BATTERY REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE

is it still shifting but maybe there is a delay or harsh engagement , how many miles you driven on it after battery replacement

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fixing myself 25,000 vortex 5.3 ? Its a 2012 Silverado 1500 and ever thing was fine before battery

have you checked alternator for charging 14 volts when running ?

why was battery replaced, it was checked and was weak or bad ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the battery wouldn't start when it was cold .How do we reset computer ? Can I try to reset the computer would this help ?

Master Reset

1-Disconnect Both Battery Cables ,Positive & Negative .
2- Touch Cables With Each Other For 60 Secs ( this will take any residual power in the Harness to Reset the Vehicle Modules )
3- Wait 30 min
4- Close all doors and trunk
5- Reconnect Battery Positive First
6- Use The Key in The Driver Side Door
Lock Cylinder to Lock it & Unlock,IF You have only a Key Fob ,use it to lock and unlock
7- Enter vehicle and Start it .

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD 12 VOLT BATTERY AND HOLDING, CHECK BATTERY CABLES FOR LOOSE OR CORROSION ON BATTERY END AND ALTERNATOR AND STARTER END

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK

You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Modules needed and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you get the Faults Read ,post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it & we be Accurate

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat