Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Vibrates at 45 to 55 mph shifts a little hard will go away…

Vibrates at 45 to...

Vibrates at 45 to 55 mph shifts a little hard will go away if you press on the gas or let off of the gas has new u joints

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No everything is same as usual

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '55 Ford?

1997 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing except new u joints about 2 months ago and they look good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

All fluid levels are ok

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2018
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light or any other warning lights come on on the dash at all with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No the light comes on from time to time but it is do to a misfire from a vacuum leak but is off know.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the transmission torque converter staying locked up due to an internal mechanical fault in the torque converter itself or due to the lock-up solenoid failing needing replaced.This will cause the hard shifting as well as vibration and usually with a vibration this can be the torque converter itself or input shaft issue in the transmission, unfortunately.

You will need to have the transmission inspected/tested to locate if the torque converter is the cause or if there is an internal transmission component at fault like the input shaft or any other components in the transmission at fault.In some cases, the transmission has to be removed for inspection.This is usually best checked/tested by a transmission repair facility with the correct test equipment and tools to locate the fault especially if it has to be removed and taken apart for inspection.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic