Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Service 4WD message is on...? Won't engage in 4WD Lo --

Customer Question
Service 4WD message is...

Service 4WD message is on...? Won't engage in 4WD Lo -- light just blinks and stays in 4WD Hi?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

4WD light Hi works at button but when I try to put it in 4WD Lo the light by button blinks while the 4WD Hi remains on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 Silveraldo - Z71

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to fix myself if possible. Would like to know what to look at what is wrong to make that decision. Have tried nothing yet due to not knowing a direction.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Todd Audette, A.S.E Certified Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, A.S.E Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist you with your vehicle. Please allow me a little time to review some basic diagnostic and i will be back with you shortly
Will it go into 4lo with the transmission in neutral
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will have to try that to answer....
Ok let me know
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tried that and it worked. I have discovered that I need to always push the 2WD button to change to another; Auto, $WD Hi, 4WD Lo... for it to switch. I also noticed that since the service 4WD message has come on and off at times, my gas mileage has reduced to less than half of what I was getting before (now about 6mpg--Coincidence?) Since I bought this truck used 4 months ago the engine symbol light (top left of dash-board ---just left of turn signal indicator) remains on and no one I spoke to can tell me what it means.
Seeing that the service 4wd message is displayed you will have to have the transfer case control module scanned for codes to properly diagnos. You shouldn't have to push the 2wd button first. As far as the light illuminated on your dash if you could attach a picture of it i could find out what it is

The light that is illuminated is the check engine light and your engine control module needs to be scanned for codes as well. This light being illuminated there is a emissions related malfunction.

I hope you are satisfied with my answer and would kindly leave a 3-5 star rating for my assistance and the information I have provided. In doing so this chat session will remain open for further follow up questions you may have for me. Thanks for rating and for using Just Answer

Todd Audette
Todd Audette