Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Low on transmission fluid. Don't know, I bought it about…

Customer Question
Low on transmission fluid ...

Low on transmission fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Don't know, I bought it about eilght months ago with 66,000 miles now it has about 77,000 miles. The radio was leaking fluid and I change it but I need to add transmission fluid now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2011 Saab 95 turbo4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I tried nothing interms of the transmission fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, my check engine lights coms on and 6 codes comes up and they are P0016 and P0017 repeadly 6 times

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/10/2018
Transmission Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years.

I was able to find the instructions on how to check the fluid level on the Saab 9-5

Place the car on a lift. Make sure it is as level as possible Engage P and apply the handbrake Remove the filler plug. Start the engine and run it at idling speed. Connect a proper scan tool. Run the engine until the temperature is 70°- 80°C according to the "Read values" TCM menu Raise the car. Engine at idling speed. Position a receptacle under the gearbox and remove the oil level tube's plug At the correct oil level 0.3-0.4 litres of oil flows out, engine at idling speed Lower the car,Fill gearbox oil through the oil filler hole until about 0.2 litres flows out from the oil level tube. Raise the car, engine at idling speed. Wait until the oil stops flowing out of the oil level tube and fit the plug with a new seal. Tightening torque, level plug 8 Nm 7 ft lbs. Lower vehicle. Fill 0.4 litres of gearbox oil through the oil filler hole Fit the filler plug with a new seal. Tightening torque, filler plug 40 Nm 30 ft lbs.

As far as the codes I will look into those and see what information I can find

Transmission Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 7 months ago

I was unable to find any informaiton about code P0016.

But I found these tests to check for code P0017

-Check for vacuum leaks by smoke testing the intake and turbo pressure side.

-Check the boost sensor for oil from a failing turbo. If there is a large amount of oil in the charge side of the turbo, the turbo will need to be repaired/replaced.