Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 jeep wrangler, wont shift gears(automatic) usually

Customer Question
2005 jeep wrangler,...

2005 jeep wrangler, wont shift gears(automatic) usually shifts at 2200 rpm at 35 mph, shifts again at 2200 rpm , at 50 then drops back to 1500, that's cruise rpms

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Where is the break switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet, and yes I will be fixing it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm a woman

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/10/2018
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.
It sounds as if your transmission is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees a failure that will prevent proper operation it will set fault codes and lock you in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are many possible causes for limp in including speed sensors, the range sensor, solenoids, wiring, the trans controller itself and internal transmission issues.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a code reader or scan tool to see what fault codes are set and then testing can be one from there based on the findings.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.