Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Kia Sorrento 4x4 automatic. I was in a dirt…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 2002 Kia Sorrento 4x4 automatic. I was in a dirt road yesterday and had to use the 4x4 low for a steep climb and down the hill. When i came down, the i switched the 4x4 low knob back to automatic, but would not want to shift. What could cause this and what can I do to get it working again right?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Its 2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just drove so i can make it home very slowly

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/9/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

The first step would be getting a scan for codes in the transfer case module. Since the transfer case is stuck in 4 low then you certainly should have a code stored. This will narrow down the problem.

You could have multiple issues here. The transfer case motor, module, wiring, or the transfer case could have a mechanical problem.

A scan will give a clearer picture of what is going on. The transfer case motor gears could be stripped out.

Any shop should be able to scan for codes and you should not necessarily need to go the dealer for that.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dan, thanks for the info. As I was on my way to a dealer to have it looked at, I reversed the vehichle and for some reason the the 4x4L light disappeared and everything seems to be working ok. Should I be concern?

Maybe a rock or some dirt wedged itself in the transfer case motor and managed to work itself out. If your are not having any problems now I would hold off on taking it in to the dealer wait until the problem returns.

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more. A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.