Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The transmission is slipping based on what I've read. I had…

Customer Question
Ok so the transmission...

Ok so the transmission is slipping based on what I've read. I had a tow truck driver drive it on to his flatbed, and he said the transmission isn't completely dead/isn't a serious transmission issue, but is there a way to tell if it's just the cellonoids that need replacing, or if it's completely shot?

Mechanic's Assistant: This is potentially serious. How long has it been going on?

Well, the car goes into reverse, and drives fine on first gear, but it starts freaking out and stalling on the second. I've heard that the 2003 Honda Civic had extended warranty for this problem, but obviously it's way past due. I haven't drove it since this started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Civic yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything yet. I guess cause I'm worried that it will be so pricey that I have to just sell it as a "mechanic's dream" on Craigslist or something. If it is rebuilt, how much would it generally run?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want an estimate basically. If the cellonoids need replacing it won't be as expensive as a rebuilt transmission. So an estimate on replacing the cellonoids , and an estimate on rebuilt would be awesome. I know he would probably need to see it to make a better estimate, but an average on what he's experienced before would be awesome since I can't seem to get a quote anywhere else

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/8/2018
Transmission Mechanic: ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech replied 3 months ago
ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech

HI,

Is the check engine light on?

I pulled out the dipstick, and the color wasn't Black. Like a dark reddish color

HI,

There is a possibility it may be one of the shift solenoids. You need to have the onboard computer scanned for fault codes which are stored when the check engine light is on. This tells you the area of concern, which may be internal transmission failure, pressure switch, shift solenoid or other issue.

I will say that on the 99-2004 Accords and Civics, most of the time that the transmission is slipping it is internal transmission failure

Does that mean I need it fully rebuilt, and if so, what's a ballpark figure on the cost. Also, would it be worth fixing? Or should I just sell it for like 700 dollars on Craigslist as "mechanics dream"?
If it's internal I mean

HI,

You would be looking at around $2000 to $2400 to either rebuild or drop a low mileage used transmission in it if it is internal failure.

As to whether to do that or sell it depends on your finances, which I cannot answer.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

ebrock63
ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech