Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

98 BMW 318ti. 4l30e trans. drops into 4th gear by 20 mph.

Customer Question
98 BMW 318ti. 4l30e...

98 BMW 318ti. 4l30e trans. drops into 4th gear by 20 mph. converter clutch will not disengage when slowing to a stop. I have replaced the tcc solenoid, adjusted the band servo to 40"#'s and backed off 4 turns and replaced filter and gaskets. also, the trans shifts and behaves fine until the trans comes up to temperature.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Automatic trans

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 318ti yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read first post

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 day by:
1/9/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs to be done here if this has not been done yet is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will help to diagnose and locate the fault here.If you can get the codes checked and post the code info here for me to see this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not throwing any codes at all.

Was anything done on the vehicle that may have caused this fault here before it occurred?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was having this issue when I bought the car a year ago. Thought it would be an easy fix. It has never thrown any trans codes.

Without any codes set this is a tough one for me to diagnose myself here.I will have to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only other thing is the Auto/Manual switch near the shifter will not function.
Pete, Automotive Mechanic