Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ive got a 2001 tj automatic and sometimes when I put it in…

Customer Question
Ive got a 2001...

Ive got a 2001 tj automatic and sometimes when I put it in reverse it will shudder a little and feel very rough, also when stopped completely at a stoplight, idle drops and it will turn off

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Everytime I stop for more than a few seconds with the jeep still in drive, have to sit in neutral at lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TJ yourself? What have you tried so far?

If the issue is small then I usually try to fix it myself but these things just started happening a few days ago so I haven't tried anything yet. Just been doing some research on what it could be.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It's also leaking some fluid and not sure if its oil or trans fluid but every time I park in my driveway, there'll be a little tiny spot the next morning

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/7/2018
Transmission Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, this sounds like a shift solenoid sticking or one of the valves in the valve body. If no check engine light is on it's more likely to be a valve body issue. If you do not feel comfortable going into a transmission I do suggest having a shop check it out. If the check engine light is on and you have the codes I'll be happy to help further.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting. Rating/accepting does not cost you extra but insures I am credited for my time and knowledge. Follow ups concerning the original question are always free even after rating/accepting. Thank you for using Just Answer!