Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will not engage into any gear, shut it off and restart then…

Customer Question
Will not engage into...

Will not engage into any gear, shut it off and restart then it will.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2006 Chevy Impala. No has not been checked. Just had tranny filter and fluid changed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, at a garage. But wanted to see possible explanations.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No nothing I can think of.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/5/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So you had a transmission fluid change and after it quit going into gear?

it acted up once before so that is what we had done.

was there a check engine light on?

but was on previously.

DO you happen to know the codes?

no sorry I don't, but original code was to do with fuel air ratio, and the air filter box will not stay closed.

there could have been more codes that popped up, that would be a good lead to whats going on, more than likely its going to be a internal issue like a solenoid or something

well it is going back to garage today to have the solenoid changed... hoping that will fix the issue.
Thanks anyway.

Sure thing let me know how it goes !

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician