Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

It slips between first gear and second. At high speeds in…

Customer Question
It slips between first...

It slips between first gear and second. At high speeds in high gear when i am trying to maintain speed on the highway, it will sometimes slip into a lower gear. If i let off on the accellorator , it will go back to high gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

64000 miles. It is a 36' motor home with a 10 cylinder ford motor and an automatic transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Ford?

It is a Fleetwood, Southwind Motor Home. 1999.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started on my way back from a 2000 mile trip. All ive done is check for leaks and fluid levels.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
1/5/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Does the trans oil have a dark color or bad odor?

When a transmission slips the engine revs high and fast but speed does not increase. Is that what you get in 2nd gear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No it slips trying to go into second, but once it engages, it’s fine until I get into high gear and try to accelerate to maintain speed going uphill

So the 1-2 shift is taking to long resulting in the engine reving high briefly, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been manually shifting from 1st to second gear to correct the slipping from 1st to second but it creates a "hard" shift.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Thanks, ***** ***** causes for your high gear downshift concern is going to be internal transmission issues or the throttle position sensor is reading incorrectly. The 1-2 shift concern that is solely a concern within the transmission. Since the fluid is fone then the likely hood of clutch or band damage is slim. Which leaves the concern to be an accumulator, shift valve, or solenoid issue. Do you work on transmissions?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician