Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmission stopped engaging while underway. Stopped,

Customer Question
Transmission stopped engaging while...

Transmission stopped engaging while underway. Stopped, turned off key, started. It engaged somewhat less, limped along at low speed. did this several times with progressively worse results. Finally left car at side of road and walked home.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

I was driving when it began to slip. it got progressively worse, until it just stopped. I put it in park, turned off key, restarted, got some traction, drove slowly till i lost traction. repeated several times, with progressively worse results. Finally gave up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Acura?

2006 TL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. is there a troupleshooting protocol?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/4/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is or has the check engine light or any other warning lights come on with this fault here?

Has anything been checked or tested for this issue?

Let me know,thanks Pete

engine lights came on, including engine icon, triangle w/explanation point, ABS.Nothing has been checked. I just drove it home, slowly- transmission is still slipping, smoothly and evenly- was able to sustain about 5 mph.

I apologize for the delay.

The first thing that needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool or computer that will plug into your model and that can read all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.

I suspect this will be a fault with the valve body in the transmission or a solenoid in the valve body acting up.I would first check and make sure the fluid level in the transmission appears to be o.k.If it is low then you have a leak needing located and repaired and the fluid topped off.

But if the fluid level is o.k. then the fault codes do need to be read out to then be able to diagnose what component is causing this issue here.If you can get the codes read out and then post the code info here this will help just let me know.In some cases, a local parts store can read out fault codes at no charge to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

i'll check the faults codes and get back to you.

Sounds good

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic