Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

2001 Dodge Cummins 5 speed. pops and misses while blowing…

Customer Question
2001 Dodge Cummins 5...

2001 Dodge Cummins 5 speed. pops and misses while blowing white smoke in 1st and 2nd. Have replaced the Fass pump. injection pump, map sensor, cam sensor and still no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

The popping sounds like it is coming from the exhaust. It has been going on about 2 weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Dodge?

Ram 3500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I already told you

Mechanic's Assistant: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?

Nevermind

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 day by:
1/5/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check and see if you're losing any engine coolant at all with this issue.If you are this may be an issue with a head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder causing this fault here as it will create white smoke as well as causes running issues to cause the noise you are hearing.If this is or was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The coolant is good also.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still haven't solved this problem

I apologize for the delay as I have been offline the last couple of days.

Do you know if the smoke has a fuel or oil smell to it or a sweet smell?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It would be a fuel smell

O.k., thanks for that info.

If you have not had the fuel injectors tested this needs to be done.I have seen several issues with the fuel injectors not operating as they should and it sounds like you have at least one over fueling causing this issue needing replaced.I would have the injectors tested ( in some cases special tools can be used as well as a compatible scan tool to test them on the vehicle and in other cases they have to be removed and tested by a diesel repair facility that has an injector test machine) to see if one or more are faulty needing replaced.If this was already done let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic