Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmission Over Temp signal is coming and engine temp is…

Customer Question
Transmission Over Temp signal...

Transmission Over Temp signal is coming and engine temp is slowly rising.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

During an oil change about 2-3 months ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2006 Grand Cherokee 3.7L V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

With this particular instance nothing yet. But in the past it has overheated due to thermometer/water pump going out and they were replaced about a year ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, there does seem to be electrical problems like low voltage, dash board lights have been flickering dim and the like. I know sometimes these jeeps will get a false positive about the trans temp but engine was getting pretty hot according to the gauge

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 3 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi how can I help you with this? did you want to know possible causes?

I wanted to know what things to check first.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if the thermostat and water pump are new they are not likely to be bad, but it isn't impossible...

the first thing to check will be the coolant level and to make sure the system is properly bled

next would be proper engine fan operation, followed by proper coolant flow/circulation

you should also test operating voltage as it sounds like your alternator may be failing

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert