Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

At light is on, slams hard into reverse. checked

Customer Question
At light is on...

At light is on, slams hard into reverse. checked transmission fluid states it is full. need car for work, what is wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Probably needs it, probably two years or more (closer to the more side)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2010 cx-7 checked automatic transmission fluid tonight dipstick stated full

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I only checked fluid tonight. hoping it is only fluid level

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, go ahead and connect

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Transmissions
1/3/2018
Transmission Mechanic: xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

have you pulled codes?

no, just was driving home about 10 minutes ago, when light came on
fluid level dipstick states that it is full of transmission fluids

next step is to scan for codes...do you have access to a scan tool?

no, guess I will have to take to maintenance shop/garage to have it scanned

The check trans or check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure