Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

Code p1217 and p0732. transmission mechanic says

Customer Question
Code p1217 and p0732...

Code p1217 and p0732. transmission mechanic says transmission fault and needs to drop transmission to check it, costing over 1500 plus what he finds

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P1217 and P0732

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2006 Altima SSL 2.5L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked the radiator because one said it was overheating, so I just topped it off with water to check if it leaks, didn't see leak so I'm going to buy antifreeze next. Next have to check transmission fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The symptoms were: after driving awhile, 2nd gear not changing to 3rd (or is it 3rd to 4th) or is it "limp mode" when rpm drops and car will not advance with any push of gas pedal...

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
1/2/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Jay, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The P1217 code is a Engine Over Temp code. Meaning it looks like the car over heated.

Is the car running hot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not at all. What about the 2nd code?

That is a 2nd gear function code in the transmission. How does the transmission shift?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
see full view details explained: "Customer: the symptoms were: after driving awhile, 2nd gear not changing to 3rd (or is it 3rd to 4th) or is it "limp mode" when rpm drops and car will not advance with any push of gas pedal..."

For the first code, I would check to make sure both radiator fans come on when the ac is turned on. I have also seen Thermostats cause this code also.

If it's stuck in 2nd gear, this could be either a shift solenoid on the valve body, or due to a internal issue. To isolate the issue, the valve body would need to be removed to properly test the solenoid and if the solenoid passes, then you would air check the gears to see if there is any leak down with engagement.

But either way, the valve body will need to be removed to properly determine direction for this code.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've actually run the heat to keep the engine from overheat if that was the case, and did not get any symptoms to arise. I did notice that the a/c controls appeared to be lit and did not come off when I pushed the buttons to turn off a/c and circulation.

I would need to know what type of air controller you have for that.

But I would check the radiator fans to make sure both are working and also may want to try bleeding the coolant system if any coolant work was done. These cars are known that if they get any air in the coolant system that they can cause the vehicle to run hot. Bleeding the coolant systems on these cars are tricky and can take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to bleed.

Do you want me to explain the bleeding process for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is possible my son, who drives the car had coolant added when he last had oil/filter changed within a week or so...then apparently these issues occurred, so yes it will be helpful to understand correct bleeding process.

Sure.. Hang on while I type it all out for you...

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxiodwzry7rczno/fill%20rad.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96smswvs2ct1cuh/Fill%20Rad%202.jpg?dl=0

That is how you will need to bleed the coolant system

Jay
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician