Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I think I may have low transmission fluid. MY check engine…

Customer Question
I think I may...

I think I may have low transmission fluid. MY check engine and check transmission indicators come on when I start the car. It shuddered when I put it in gear. I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

Its been a while. I'm not sure , it could have been a year

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Freestyle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. I tried letting the car warm up a bit. I thought the problem was because the outside temperature dropped to 20 degrees, and the car just needed to warm up. I have a limited income, and need to try to resolve this myself, before I spend money on a mechanic....if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I recently added coolant. The same indicators came on once before. So I added the coolant, and I let the car warm up on extremely cold mornings, but it happened again this morning after I let the car warm up for 10 minutes

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Transmission Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Both of these lights come on when the computer system sees a system fault and when this happens the computer will detect this and set and store a fault code and or codes. Before you can fix this you need to start with having the computer system scanned to see what the fault code and or codes are that have sat. Most auto parts store such as Auto Zone will do a scan for you at no charge. If you can get his done and post back with them I can help you get this resolved.