Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

The engine light came on and the transmission won't shift…

Customer Question
The engine light came...

The engine light came on and the transmission won't shift out of fourth gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

It is not really bright red so I would have to say it would appear dirty

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2012 Laramie 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just got it home I checked the transmission fluid before I left town because that was where it started.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really, I think that is all.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
12/31/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

SO we need to get that code, do you have access to a scanner, transmissions need to be serviced every 30-60k depending on usage as well

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I don't have access to a scanner

ok the local auto parts stores computer may be able to get that pulled if not it will need to go to a shop or dealer to get the codes, then I can assist in further repair, you can try the on board system check to see if you get anything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cYRGZyexqc

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi It does get to the same spot on the video, I assume it scans and as in the video "Done" comes up but the engine light is still on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you have any other ideas at this point in time?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would just like to know if there is something else I might do to get the code and why it just does a scan and comes up done with the check engine light still on. To be ignored after paying $38 to get the link to a 40 second youtube video really doesn't sound like good value.
Transmission Mechanic: Mopar_Certified, Factory Trained replied 1 month ago
Mopar_Certified
Mopar_Certified, Factory Trained

Good Morning, new expert here. Are you still seeking help with this question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning, yes I am. I have thought about this all night and the only thing that I have come up is that it was around and is still -28 C. Not sure if that would cause issues.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello

Thanks for the reply,

Ok, although the low temps don't help, they won't actually cause a problem to occur. It was suggested that you retrieve the stored fault codes from the truck. Have you been able to use a code reader, or have the ability to get one.

Unfortunately, the method for getting codes on the dash is not fool proof so if it hasn't worked for you then a code reader is the only option at this point.

Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I came only limp the truck over to a friend's place and he can put it on his.

Ok, that would be good. Once we know what the codes are we'll know how to go about fixing it for you.

Just reply back when you can with the codes, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was "can" only.I know speculating is not always great however a question that I have is, "Can the rear diff. fluid condition or level affect this?"

The answer to that is no.

When the transmission goes into limp mode, which is what 4th gear is, it means the computer has seen an internal problem with the transmission. This can be an electrical issue with solenoids etc or mechanical in nature. This is what the codes will tell us.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thank-you. I'm not sure what time my friend will be up and about (they got in late last night) so it might be a while before I get back to you.

No worries, I'm online throughout the day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok one more question, what time zone are you in because your all day might end long before my all day lol.

LOL. Im west coast so pacific time zone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect so am I

Just touching base, because I never heard back from you. How did you make out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh sorry about that. I can’t remember what the code was that came up was but there was a selenoid gone so rather than replacing one we replaced the valve body and it was done. So far so good.
That’s awesome! Glad to hear it working well for you now!
Mopar_Certified
Mopar_Certified
Mopar_Certified, Factory Trained