Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

The ignition actuator is broke off in my 1991 F150. It used…

Customer Question
The ignition actuator is...

The ignition actuator is broke off in my 1991 F150. It used to be an automatic, but was converted to manual transmission, so steering column is still made for automatic. Sometimes the ignition switch turns freely, other times it turns hard. Which leads to the question I have about the broken actuator. It broke off flush, like article showed, and yes the more I tried getting it out the further it went down inside column till it bottomed out. I got long drill bit and put a screw in the end of actuator, but it won't pull out. Could the automatic column turn slightly and hold the actuator in the column by chance? And how do you get it out now if that's the case?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

84,000. yes original

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself along with one of my employees that is 30+ yr dodge mechanic. Have taken steering wheel off and all the stuff inside down to tilt mechanism . pulled snap ring back a ways to allow tilt mechanism to slide out and down a way but to not let tilt spring to jump out. tried drilling into end of broken actuator, then put screw in the end of it and tried pulling out. It won't move

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
12/29/2017
Transmission Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified replied 1 month ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified

Hello I will help,

How about replacing the whole column? A manual or floor shift column is about $100 from car-part.com and if you want another automatic column it is less. To replace the column is about 1/2 hours then you are sure it will work rather than try to repair this one and have something that is unreliable?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was my next thought, but didn't know if there was a trick to get it out that we were missing. Was going to take whole column out next. Can you get to it if we do that?

I really don't remember on this one. You can disassemble the whole column with it off the vehicle but as I say, trying to repair this one and find parts for a 27 year old vehicle is just a lot more trouble that it is worth. You would need a donor column for parts so why not change the whole thing? A few bolts, an electrical connection and a little adjustment of the switch position then it is done.

If you have further questions about this let me know, the real answer is to replace the column with a used one. Let me know if you have further questions

Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified