Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My girlfriend 2001 ford escape v6 auto OD light went on and…

Customer Question
My girlfriend 2001 ford...

My girlfriend 2001 ford escape v6 auto OD light went on and she has a rubbing noise when it is at 55 after shifting to the OD. top gear.It is still running .Is that the tranny or some kind of sensor ,or other easily replaceable part beside rebuilding the tranny and how long do you think it will drive without totally screwing up it has 145,000 mostly highway miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

OD trans indicator not sure it is on dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I'm in texas she and the car is in cal

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/29/2017
Transmission Mechanic: hdgene, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so the od light is flashing? Is it full of transmisison fluid? Is it 4x4 or***** Is the transmission fluid burnt?

I don't know I think its is*****not sure I will have her get fluid and also smell if it is burnt If it is burnt is the color different

If the od light is flashing then it is setting a diagnostic trouble code for the trans, if its making noise when it hits highway speeds/ torque convertor lockup it is most likely an issue with the torque convertor itself. It will need to be scanned for codes using a scan tool to be sure. Other issues with this trans which is also a good possibility is a broken 2-4 band. This will set gear ratio codes for 2nd and 4th gear. Either way the transmission will need to come out to make repairs.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

hdgene
hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician