Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 cummins. i just put a new…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 cummins. i just put a new neutral saftey switch in it and now it seems to not want to go past neutral when i try to put it in park from drive. Wont go in park at all now. now when i turn it off its has to be in neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes im fixing it my self.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No maam

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/28/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Disconnect the shift cable at the transmission and see if it then shifts from park to drive and back as well as through all gears at the shifter.Block the drive wheels to keep it from rolling.If it does not the fault is in the shifter cable itself.It can break in its sheathing or it can develop corrosion in it between its sheathing and cable causing this fault here.

If it still acts up try shifting the transmission linkage at the transmission where this cable connected to and see if it binds or stops shifting.If it does then the fault is inside the transmission with the shift shaft/fork binding and this would need to be investigated further internally to locate and repair the cause.

In most cases, it can be the shifter cable itself needing to be replaced.It may be when you remove it that it was on its way out/failing and the removal and install caused it to break internally or start to come apart internally.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?