Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Having a shifting problem with my 07 jeep cherokee. I'm

Customer Question
Hello. Having a shifting problem...
Hello. Having a shifting problem with my 07 jeep cherokee. I'm guessing it's an issue with the electronic shifting module or something similar to that. My mechanic checked the vehicle over and said the check engine light was on due to a transmission issue. They will not work on transmissions but recommended a tranny shop to take it to. I would like to avoid expensive parts/repairs or possibly unessecary parts/repairs. I do not trust the tranny shop they recommend. Took my grand prix there 3 yrs ago w a slipping tranny and they recommended a $1500 rebuild/repair. I had my leaking exhaust worked on after that and have had no tranny problems since then. Drives perfectly fine now. I would of wasted $1500 dollars on a completely unnecessary repair that probably would not of fixed anything. Do you think i should clean the electronic shift module w alcohol 1st, then replace it, if that doesn't work? Ive seen lots of videos of people doing this, having the same issue as myself. The metal ring that fits arou d the bezel/gear shift is missing. So I'm guessing someone has already messed around in that area before. Maybe they already fixed it or cleaned it before. I just bought the jeep about a month ago. I recently had a dead battery too. Maybe that caused some electronic issues. I read where someone disconnected the battery, let it sit overnight, then reconnected it and drove it never going over 50 mph for a certain number of miles, then the electronics would reset and they were able to drive without the shifting problems. My jeep never had a problem until the battery died. After that is when the shifting problem started. Please help! Thank you very much!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/26/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor

Hello my name is***** you tell me what the transmission is doing? Did the mechanic give you the codes he found in the computer that you can relay them to me?

It's an automatic transmission. It won't go above 28 or 30 mph. (Stuck in second gear, or in "limp mode". ) It won't let me manually downshift out of overdrive. I was able to stop, turn vehicle off and then restart and would shift normal and I could downshift through all the gears. But now just shows overdrive on the dash and won't go past 2nd gear. Problem started by going from overdrive to 2nd gear when accelerating. Now only goes to 2nd gear. Tranny always seemed to shift quietly and smoothly w no issues. Perfect actually. My mechanic thinks it's possibly an electronic issue or a bad selenoid in the tranny. Ive seen many posts and videos about faulty electronic shifting modules that seem almost identical to my issue. He did not give me any codes, but I can call and ask him if any showed up. Not sure if he is able to get actual tranny error codes or not. Thanks for helping!!!!

Thank you. The codes would help but it does sound like an electrical issue. It is not common for this to vehicle to act up all of a sudden like this and have a serious issue. I would usually drop the pan also and check the fluid. If it does not have any metal in it or is not burnt then the issue is typically electrical.

Ok. I will have someone do that. I will see if he has any error codes for me as well.
Sounds good. Just let me know. Thank you.
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor