Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

2008 explorer v6. hard shifting 2nd to 3rd. hard shift into…

Customer Question
2008 explorer v6. hard...

2008 explorer v6. hard shifting 2nd to 3rd. hard shift into reverse when cold.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

140k miles. no leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. making payments. test drive diagnostics. seems like a delay shift coming out of 2nd. 3rd gear slams haed then upshifts to 4th.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. seems when cold is worse. after it warms it doesn:t hit as hard.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Transmissions
12/24/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 1 month ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi how can I help you with this? what was your specific question about this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi Steve. 1) is this a commend problem on this trannies? 2) is this going to be an expensive fix? its not slipping. seems to be a shift timing problem. 3) someone suggested disconnecting battery and reteach the tranny computer how to shift. your thoughts?

has the transmission ever been serviced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not to my knowledge. sealed tranny, what ever that means.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

this is not an uncommon problem, especially when transmisisons are not serviced. On these transmissions that are sealed and have "lifetime" fluid, the lifetime of the fluid ends up dictating the lifetime of the trans quite often

in terms of your issue, I would have the fluid level and condition checked and the transmission adaptations reset

if nothing is noted / the issue persists, it is unfortunately most likely a valve body issue or general wear issue. in either case you would likely want to opt for a full rebuild given the mileage.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your time.

you are welcome. please do not forget to click on a positive rating

Steve
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert