Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2009 Jeep Liberty has only73000 miles and i have to wait5…

Customer Question
My 2009 Jeep Liberty has...
My 2009 Jeep Liberty has only73000 miles and i have to wait5 min to get the tranny to kick in. Also it does not heat up enough when it is cold,this is a yearly issue with the cold.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/22/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Let me ask a few questions first, Have you checked the transmission fluid level yet? Also, is this every gear? including reverse and Low 1 that you get no engagement until you wait? Also, is the check engine light on now when driving? thank you.

Did not see a transmission stick,it happens in drive and reverse no engine light

Alright, Jeep left the dipstick out, but you can buy one for it at autozone. You do see the dipstick tube there with a cap on it correct? near the firewall on the passenger side?

Does it have a tranny stick also who is the most reasonable and best shops

You should see the dipstick tube near the firewall, and then you can get a dipstick for it at a local auto parts store. Have you noticed any fluid leaks at all under the transmission area? It could just be low on fluid if you have seen it leaking, that would be the first thing to check, If it is full of fluid though, and the engagement is delayed in all gears, then it very well may have to come out to be rebuilt or replaced as it probably has an internal hydraulic leak not applying the clutches like it should.

Saw the cap but thought it was only for the dealer or garage

Correct, that is where to check the fluid, but the dipstick itself was left out by Jeep.

It could be low, which is my first thoughts, and after the fluid warms up slightly it does expand which may then give it enough fluid to get engaged. You could put a 1/2 quart in it just to see if that helped or not without buying a dipstick. If it does help then it likely was low, if it doesn't help, then at that time I would recommend an Aamco transmission shop, or a local transmission shop with the best reviews to perform a line pressure test and at that time you can determine whether it's an internal problem or not.

Does that help answer your question? thank you.

Thanks for that information what about the heating problem is that a yearly thing

Does the engine temperature gauge seem to warm up to normal quickly? or does the temperature gauge say it's cold as well?

Let us know if you have any further questions Allen, Thank you and best wishes!