Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 07 BMW X3 has a clucking sound while accelerating. its…

Customer Question
my 07 BMW X3 has...
my 07 BMW X3 has a clucking sound while accelerating. its coming from the transfer case. the transmission and transfer case were replaced with used ones and its still clunking. it stops when you disconnect the transfer case actuator. there are no codes related to the transfer case or dynamic stability control.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Answered in 3 days by:
12/25/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

one thing to ask is has the propshaft to the back axle been checked over?

as form your description I'd suspect that the propshaft either has a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance

you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none

the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit

and then look along the propshaft for any signs of a missing balance weight as these take the form of little 3/4" squares that are welded onto the shaft - as they are only tacked on they can sometimes come loose and be lost resulting in the shaft being out of balance - if a joint is worn this can also shake them loose

so if a joint is replaced its good practice to have the shaft re-balanced afterwards

I already know what it is. It's a faulty transfer case. The oil is saturated with metal shavings. Thank anyway.

Hmm ok

so the 1st transfer case had this issue and now the 2nd one has the same?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician