Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I have a recently purchased 2001 forester. The transmission…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a recently purchased 2001 forester. The transmission is an automatic when I drive it the shifting is very firm and it will kick out of 4th gear and into third with slight gas pedal pressure. Also if you hit the gas too hard the at oil light starts blinking and the difficult to shift

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?

It has 129 and its original

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Forester yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes sir this years winter car. I replaced the spin on filter and cleaned inside of pan and changed that filter. I also checked the three solenoid so twopink and one green and they seem to cycle when power was applied to them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure. Just looking for a direction to go. I also swapped out the resistor that's on the fender on the RC side with no change . Thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/20/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 2 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

any metal shavings found in the trans fluid ?

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to Retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

please let me know

Hello pan seemed pretty clean.
I've used a test light before
I don't have a power probe
My scanner doesn't read transmission codes
This car is for myself. The last resort is the dealership

the oil light start blinking , low oil pressure , oil sludge in oil pan, oil pressure switch ,you will have to test it

but transmission different issue that could shifting solenoid , but which one , we need to scan to know

you can take Transmission pan off and valve body off and test resistance on each solenoid but not sure if you have tools for that .

129 k at 2001 ,is border line ,did this started suddenly to do that or gradually

It's a recent purchase. It had a bad motor that knocked and I changed it . Everything disassembled and reassembled with no problems. I only drove it off the trailer to the driveway . I just put it on the road on Monday and drove it around the block and up the highway. You could feel it wasn't shifting correctly. The pan didn't have any sludge and the magnet had a small amount of goo on it. I could drop the pan again if necessary. Is there a way to test the solenoid so better than powering them up with a battery?

ok I see , you could have a clogged oil pick up screen in oil pan for oil light , u can replace or put a hole in it ( last resort on that move ) :) cause they are cheap ,just replace

yes resistance test ,set voltmeter on ohms , they should all read equal to each other the one that is way off, do not read or infinite reading ,replace it

no sludge in oil pan i m assuming is good ,unless u talking on trans , but also no sludge is good cause possibility just a solenoids is more likely than burned clutches internally .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat