Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2015 honda accord i was driving a noticed a random…

Customer Question
I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 honda accord i was driving a noticed a random jerk and the car had trouble shifting. After i have parked the vehicle it would not switch from drive. it would not response while in reverse but would go forward in neutral and drive but not reverse. first time this ever happened

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No leaks at all i was getting the strainer changed inside of the transmission i was informed it was clogged and needed to change. it has about 40k miles on the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Accord yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far i only changed the strainer the car is driving fine forward but not taking reverse my mechanic said he noticed little bit of shavings in the fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is pretty much it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/21/2017
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

These symptoms are indicative of geartrain failure in the transmission. The loss of reverse could be a geartrain or clutch failure, but moving forward while in neutral indicates power is being transmitted through the geartrain when it should not be. Usually this is caused by planetary geartrain failure, which also explains the metal found in the trans. The transmission will either need to be replaced or removed and disassembled for inspection and to see if it will be cost effective to repair it.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.