Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I do not have third or fourth gear. I believe the factory…

Customer Question
I do not have...

I do not have third or fourth gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I believe the factory transmission is in it, and its a 2000. So 17 years. I burnt up a clutch and had it replaced last year

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Jeep?

Wrangler sahara

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have assumed I need an entire new transmission. Therefore, I have not tried anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

But a mechanic friend of mine says the synchronizers need to be replaced

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/17/2017
Transmission Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are a few things that could be going on depending on exactly what is happening, any of them being an internal transmission problem.

If you can get the shifter into fourth without the engine running but it will not go while driving then there is a synchronizer or shift fork issue.

If you can move the shifter into each gear but it doesn't transmit power in third and fourth then you most likely have a gear related issue.

If third and fourth were grindning and now you're unable to achieve them then it could be a synchronizer or shift fork issue.

Either way, the trans is either going to need to be replaced or removed and disassembled for inspection and repair.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.