Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My transmission came on tonight, is this something serious…

Customer Question
My transmission came on...

My transmission came on tonight, is this something serious can I still drive

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Not sure,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

S-type 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should i check the transmission fluid? could this be the problem

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
My transmission fault light came on tonight, what should i do? can it be driven and if so for how long?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
How can I let you know if I need more information if I never got an answer!
Do you have an answer to my questions....My car transmission fault light came on, what can I do?
did i just threw away $5? I still haven't gotten the answers to my questions!
was i just got scammed by jaguar?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/15/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic

Hi..there..sorry for the delay..

Its means the transmissions ecm or the tcm if you want to call it..has detected an fault within the transmission itself..checking fluid level on these depending what box you have is quite difficult as the plug/level plug is on the transmission pan..plus its quite specific as per temperature to check the level around 40degrees not under or over..if you have no note of the fluid,transmission filter hasnt ever being done then that could be good place to start ideally - but what you really want done here is to get a scan tool hooked to the car and see what codes you have stored..then progress from there...How long you can use the car? well i cant answer that as we dont know the situation fault wise as you had nothing done yet scanned either..but based on that it wouldnt be advised to just leave it..best getting it seen to sooner or later rather than risk the transmission becoming even more problamatic and may lead to full replacement..hope this helps