Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Occasionally, an Icon of a transmission appears on my

Customer Question
Occasionally, an Icon of...

Occasionally, an Icon of a transmission appears on my instrument panel. Sometimes but means nothing, but sometimes when it appears the car sticks in one gear. When that happens, it is corrected by pulling over, turning off the engine for 30 seconds, then restarting. Last night the icon appeared and the car began “bucking. I was able to pull over, etc., and though the icon remained, the PT ran smoothly. I am somewhat afraid to drive it. I put $1,100 into “fixing” this a year ago. What to do? John Ledingham

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2006...brake switch? Where? don’t recall seeing a brake switch.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Chrysler?

PT Cruiser, with the big turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your PT Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only by mechanic. not sure what was done before in the transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What does this cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Chrysler Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Didn’t realize this is a pay bit...looking for a blog. Thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/13/2017
Transmission Mechanic: ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech replied 7 months ago
ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech

HI,

Ok, by the symptoms, I suspect that the transmission solenoid pack assembly is failing and will need to be replaced. To verify, the transmission control module needs to be scanned for stored fault codes. Unless you live in California, you can run it by any major parts stores and they will scan it for free for you