Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

My 2005 Toyota Sienna CE won't shift into gear. I am able to…

Customer Question
My 2005 Toyota Sienna...

My 2005 Toyota Sienna CE won't shift into gear. I am able to move the gear shift but it is very loose and little to no resistance. I was backing out of my garage and was going to shift into Drive but gear stick moved but the indicator light was in N and says in N

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

This is the original transmission in the car when I purchased it in 2005. How do I check the brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have tried pushing the gear release button near the stick but that did not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/13/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you live where rust and corrosion are an issue? Do you have the vehicle identification number available?

No VI#5TDZA23C65S274782

standby

no

After inquiring into the vehicle identification number there is one open recall for the spare tire cable assembly. If you don't live a rust and corrosion is an issue that's probably not too big of a deal but I just wanted to give you a heads up on that open recall still. Here's the bot***** *****ne you need another set of hands to have somebody move the shifter while you open the hood and looked directly down just to the left of the battery as you're standing at the bumper looking at the transmission. The shift cable goes across the top of the transmission and down between the transmission of the radiator and battery area. Have somebody move the shifter and see if that cable is moving right there where it attaches to the arm on the transmission. If it is not moving this can only mean that the shifter has either popped off the shifter lever or the cable is broken inside the center console area. It's extremely unlikely that the cable broke in that consul area. The more likely scenario is that the detent that snaps onto the shifter lever or the ball socket assembly has popped off or broken. This has been a part two times once for the shift solenoid recall and once to have the instrument panel replaced it's possible that socket is worn and just popped off the shifter lever under the center consul. You would need to disassemble that area to inspect to see if that's the case. Please do not forget to rate the information that I provided to you today at three or higher and if you need any additional information feel free to reply and I will get back to you.

standby sending a couple if illustrations

Click this link and save the illustration. The link will time out. As you see in the illustration where the shifter is and the red arrow that's the most likely place to pop off. The other end of the cable is on the front of the transmission if that's not moving be yet looks attached to the lever on the transmission then the problem has to be inside as I described previously.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician