Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

I am using a Volvo S80 (2001 model). Recently I had a

Customer Question
I am using a...

I am using a Volvo S80 (2001 model). Recently I had a problem with my auto transmission. While driving it refused to shift gears. I could shift to P. I had to switch off my car and then when I switched on I could move the car when I put it into the 4 drive but it refused to move upwards. My mechanic here says the gear box has to be changed. What is the actual problem and how to solve it?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

As old as the car. I have not noticed any leakage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your S80?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have sent it to a garage. They are saying that it needs to have a gear box change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only this problem.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/12/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 2 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

1-has fluid been checked for quality and correct levels ,check it,drop fluid ,run it thru a funnel with screen at end of it and look for small metal shavings ,if none found continue with scan and tcm module checking ,if it had metal shavings and excessive then it will need rebuild

did you have it scanned and retrieve fault code from TCM module ?

this here could be tcm module or shifting solenoid issue , to know for sure

You will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot
and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hey how are you

Just checking on you to see if you got the issue resolved or you like additional assistance on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I had to get a new gear box replaced since I could not wait for your reply.
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat