Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When I put my 2014 f-150 in four wheel drive it goes in fine…

Customer Question
When I put my...

When I put my 2014 f-150 in four wheel drive it goes in fine but after driving up a hill I get a loud popping out of it. almost like it isnt angaged all the way. it doesnt do it all the time usually when going up a hill or putting it under a load. I have a 2 inch leveling kit on it and was wondering what might cause this and how to fix it if you know.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Its been going on for about a year and a half. and it sounds like it is coming from the front right . I have taken it into a ford dealership and the mechanic said everything looked good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I live about 120 miles from the closest ford dealership and hope to be able to fix it my self if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That shoudl be about it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/11/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

On the passenger side of the engine compartment on the firewall is the IWE solenoid that engages the front axles. Disconnect that double vacuum line connection and plug both ends with nails. Do your 4x4 up a hill again. If it still pops then your concern is most likely going to be one of the front IWE integrated wheel ends not fully engaging or it has damaged teeth. This part locks the axle shaft to the hub.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris