Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmission going into limp mode, code is 0872 clunks into…

Customer Question
Transmission going into limp...

Transmission going into limp mode, code is 0872 clunks into first gear reverse hooks up good, just out of the blue it happened after truck was driven earilier that day and only light duty use so im thinking something simple

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine light comes on and the code reader says circuit c is low volts pressure switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2003 chevy duramax with Allison 1000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed fluid and shift position sensor, fluid was good no metal in pan

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/11/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic

Good morning,

It sounds like you have an issue in the valve body. I've seen solenoids hand up and shift valves get stuck in this transmission before. Normally your best bet is to replace the valve body if you have higher mileage, but if not you might try removing the transmission pan and beginning inspection of the valve body to see if anything is amiss.

Do you have a good scan tool?

I have good scan tool, way ahead of you already inspected, entire valve body is expensive so ive been trying to figure out issue if just one solenoid. code comes up 0872 circuit c voltage low pressure high , there was no qualifying event to make me think that trans is bad, I know things happen, but the fluid was not burnt truck only has 125000 on it so with this Allison im not thinking rebuild

This is what I would check given the p0872 code:

1. Check the Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) switch inputs in Transmission Control Module (TCM) data.

2. Key OFF for 30 seconds or more.

3. Key ON, watch TFP switch inputs in scan data.

4. C, D, E should all read OFF.

5. Start engine, switches C, D and E should all quickly change to ON.

6. Engine running, place transmission in D.

7. With transmission in a steady state 1st gear, should now have: C OFF, D ON, E OFF.

8. If the switch E does not change to OFF, the E shift valve may be sticking or the C shift valve may be loose allowing fluid bypass causing a bleed action to the E valve.

9. Remove the E and C shift valves from valve body and inspect condition.

10. If the valves appear OK, try a new TFP switch assembly.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

I am still working on this followed the test you gave and led me to the tfps which I replaced however it seems this did not take care of the isuue, so im kind of back to the drawing board, it seems at least when I test the solenoids that they are testing ok. I looked up and there seems to be a lot of valve body updated parts, but not sure this will fix it and it seems like a lot to invest if im not sure
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Master Mechanic