Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The shift lock release on the transmission shifter is

Customer Question
The shift lock release...

The shift lock release on the transmission shifter is broken, so I cannot get the car out of 'park'

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

2002 Saturn Vue. No codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing! Since I cannot move the car, and I would guess the problem is fairly simple.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/11/2017
Transmission Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

do the brake lights work?

Thank you, but I have decided to take it to a garage.
-Chris

ok

Transmission Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

If you check the brake lights and do not have any then check fuse in engine compartment labeled brake fuse and see if it is blown and replace it and recheck brake lights and shift lock to see if they work? The shift interlock is controlled by the body control module and will lock it out if theft system is active or more than a simple fix.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I decided to take the car to a garage. But thank you for your time.
You are welcome.

If no other questions can you please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for helping you today. Thanks.