Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Rendevous lost the gear shift. It is 2002. the

Customer Question
My Rendevous lost the...

My Rendevous lost the gear shift

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

It is 2002. the transmission was making noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Buick?

Buick Rendevous CX I think

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rendezvous yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I am trying to see if it is worth fixing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/11/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

does it have any gear?..

please explain to me what it is doing

thanks

I can start the car, but when I try to shift to drive or any other position, the ‘gear’ is not there. It is not engaging the gear at all. I want to know what could be the problem, how much it could cost to repair.

does it hold in park?

To avoid asking you to do something you’ve already tried, can you tell me what troubleshooting steps you’ve already attempted?

I don’t quite understand your question of holding at parking position. The gear shift feels like free wheeling, no engagement at all. I did not do anything else , just got it towed to my driveway.

when you put the shifter in park,,does it hold the vehicle so that it doesnt move?

are you saying it feels as if the shifter isnt shifting the transmission or is the shifter clicking through the gears but just doesnt pull the car?

It is locked in the park position, I guess. The cable must be broken. It is not moving to any other position.

yes..if that is the case,,i would think your cable is broken and must be replaced

stand by,,i may have directions

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Shift Cable

Shift Control Cable

10340403-$76.64

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

B-0.6-0.7 hours labor

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there. please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER ,Chrome or Firefox.]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blgrgdra53huzb3/1211-buick-%20Transmission%20Range%20Selector%20Cable%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/blgrgdra53huzb3/1211-buick-%20Transmission%20Range%20Selector%20Cable%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help