Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I need to install the front driver side transmission mount…

Customer Question
I need to install the...
I need to install the front driver side transmission mount (shown in picture). Someone put it on for me, but they apparently didn't do it right. I see bolt holes on the mount and the engine, but no bolts. I need to know what bolts I need for this (if you can get me a part number from a part store that would be helpful). Also, I need to know how to install this Mount from start to finish as if I were installing it after just taking off the old one. Thanks. Also, when do I need to disconnect the battery terminal. Is it necessary when doing doping this job? I ask because once I disconnect the battery, the car won't start for a while due to either a passlock problem or aftermarket alarm wiring issue.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/8/2017
Transmission Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

not necessary to disconnect the battery

You are still working on the rest of my question, correct? Thanks.

the rest?

You only mentioned the battery. My question (above) was about installing my front driver side trans mount. I need step by step instructions please. Also, the bolts that go from the mount to the engine appear to be missing. Where would I find them? I tries autozone. They say they don't Carry them. If you could give me a part number for those two bolts and where to find them, I will appreciate it also.

here you go

I dont have the part numbers for the bolts. call the dealer

The mount bracket, which it talks about in your instructions) is part of the part I gave an image of above, correct? It says to lift the engine. Should I be lifting the engine or the transmission? Is it safe to lift the engine or transmission by their pans when using the block of wood?

you lift the engine. and yes as long as you use a block of wood its safe to use under the pan

you wont need to lift it very much at all

Car needs to be on Jack stands, right? It looks like this mount is attached to everything except the two bolts that are supposed to attach from engine to trans mount. Is it safe to just buy those two bolts and attach them, or do I need to redo everything? Can I do the whole procedure from above the car, or do I need to be below it? I don't need to remove any splash guards, correct? Vehicle should be a few inches up on jack stands, correct?
Also, I think this guy was possibly driving the car with the mount as it is. Is it likely it broke anything else?
It clunks hard when put from park to drive and when shifting while speeding up.
Also, no nuts or washers needed with the bolts from the engine to the mount, correct? Thanks. That should be it. Sorry for all the short questions.

just buy the two bolts unless you see something bent. yes the car needs to be on jack stands to have enough room

no nuts or washers...correct

I wouldnt let that guy work on my car ever again

can I help with anything else?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow-up questions you may have. Also, we can respond to this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Can everything be worked on from above, or do I need to get under the car? Also, just lift engine, not transmission, correct? It is safe to lift from oil pan as long as I have wood between engine and jack (even though it says on car not to lift from oil pan)?

again, its safe to use under oil pan as long as you use a block of wood

Do I need to get under the car to put this mount on?

you will need to get under the car unless you remove the radiator, condenser and cooling fans, then you can get some of it from above.

just to do the two bolts from the engine to the mount, I need to get under the car, right? Just making sure.

yes sir

How long should this process take? This is my first time doing a mount on a car.
Also, I will need to replace the intake air temperature connector at the same time by splicing new wiring in. Do I need to disconnect the battery when doing that? When do I need to disconnect the battery when working on my car?

ok, this is only a one problem at a time site. if you want other issues fixed you will need to open up another request. I will open this up to the other to have them help

Transmission Mechanic: Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder replied 6 months ago
Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. It's never a bad idea to disconnect the negative battery terminal when working on any electrical wiring in a car, just to make sure no wires have any voltage on them. It's a good common practice when doing wiring repairs. If it is just one or two wires such as an air temp sensor, then I probably wouldn't disconnect the battery on that, as the ECM isn't powered up unless the key is on. and I would just do one wire at a time on that. Did you get all of your questions answered about replacing the mount? thank you.

Do I need to be under the car in order to replace that Mount? Also, is it safe to jack up the engine by the oil pan, as long as there is a wood block between the pan and the jack? I ask because the car says not to Jack the car up by oil pan. Also, do I need to Jack up the engine, not the transmission?
Also, is it safe to repair damaged wiring to the intake air temp connector with the battery connected?

yes, You will have to get up under the car to replace the mount, also, you can support the engine by the oil pan and a block of wood, but do not jack the car up with the oil pan, jack the car up by the subframe or control arms, You are safe to repair the damaged wiring to the air intake sensor with the battery connected as there is no voltage on the wire with the key off.

So in other words, the only weight on the wood block and oil pan is that of the engine, not the whole car. You won't need to jack it up much, just enough to support the weight of the engine, when you jack up the engine, the transmission will stay with it because they are bolted together and they are one piece, if you jack one up the other one goes up too in other words.

Is this an easy enough repair for someone who has done very little work on a car before? Are the two bolts from the engine to the mount best put in from above or below the car?

below in my opinion but my arms are pretty short! However you can get to them most easiest is the way you want to put them in, it's not too hard of a job, takes about an hour or less.

Can this transmission mount not being bolted into the engine be causing very hard shifting and a jerk from park to reverse and a hard shift while driving when going from 1st to 2nd? The guy who did this will naturally not be touching my car again.
it could, as the transmission can now flop around in the engine compartment, which stresses the other mounts and would cause it to bang around on the shift points most likely.
If you're all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you
Thank you.
How long would it take to damage the transmission if It was driven with the two bolts from the engine to the mount missing on the front left trans mount?
Also, what sort of damage would it do? Would driving faster cause more damage?
In my opinion it would cause undue stress to the axles bending them more than they should been on acceleration and it could possibly pull wiring harnesses more as the engine wouldn't be in the correct spot that it was designed to be in. As well as you would probably get more torque steer meaning it would pull more to one side or the other when accelerating.
Let us know if you have any further questions, thank you.
How could I tell if the axles were bent?
They would not spend true if you ran the car on jack stands through the gears it would have a lot of wobble in them but what I meant to say was if you drove the car without the mount they would bend more under acceleration and they should and it messes the Driveline angle up. That mount is there to keep the engine and transmission stationary under acceleration.
How would I check the driveline angle? Do they do that when they do an alignment?
What would have wobble in n them? The wheels? Thanks.
What is driveline angle?
No the axles themselves, if they were bent. Wheels should be fine, they are pretty toigh. Have you tried to replace the mount yet?
Driveline angle is the angle of the axle from where it comes out of the transmission to the center of the wheels. There is a set angle there and if the engine sags or is it in the right spot it changes that angle and you get torque steer.
That should say if the engine sags or isn't in the right spot, then you get torque steer.
If you're all set please don't forget to rate the question with one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.