Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lincoln 2003 112,000 miles transmission winning a d O/D

Customer Question
Lincoln 2003 112,000 miles...

Lincoln 2003 112,000 miles transmission winning a d O/D light flashing on and off help

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Overdrive light blinking off and on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Lincoln?

Town car president edition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Town Car yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just came home from trip started blinking 300 miles from home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Overdrive is working so don't know why its blinking have not taken to a shop yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/7/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

The O/D flashing is usually the Torque converter clutch solenoid, solenoid circuit or torque converter itself not locking or letting go,usually more evident on long runs

you need to drop fluid and check from small metal shavings ,if any found i would suggest a used trans or rebuild at this time ,if non found ,refill and clear fault codes using a capable scanner or use master reset below

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)
7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

if you felt shuddering while driving,they sell fluid at local parts store fro torque converter shudder u can try

be best you have it scanned using a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the Vehicle modules and based on these fault codes we can pull up a Pin Point troubleshoot
and be accurate on it ,If you do get it scanned ,you can post the fault code back here for me and I can help you further on it and be more accurate .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat