Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Pontiac grand prix v6 auto...where's the transmission…

Customer Question
Hi, 2004 Pontiac grand...

Hi, 2004 Pontiac grand prix v6 auto...where's the transmission dipstick located?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Pontiac Grand Prix. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Type of vehicle...dependable and major fixes to look for?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/6/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your transmission dipstick is located on the back passenger side/middle of the engine area between the firewall and engine.It will have a yellow or red handle/loop on it.It should look very similar to this below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbugxoiakklk9df/d-12-06.jpg?dl=0

The vehicle is a dependable vehicle.The 3.8 engine was a long lasting engine that has been made for a long time.I would look out for any coolant leaking around the upper intake gasket or EGR ports.If any coolant is found leaking you may need a new upper intake and smaller EGR stove pipe.There were some issues on some of these with the EGR stove pipe under the plastic upper intake melting into the upper intake causing coolant to leak into the engine hydro-locking the engine but I do not see this as an issue on your model here.I would check to be safe.It would be red or green wet coolant around the upper intake or corrosion in the same color.If it needs it then you can purchase an EGR stove pipe repair kit with intake at a local parts store to repair this before this issue happens.

Other then this there were not major issues with this model and is a very dependable model vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete