Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just replaced shifter knob and boot in 2002 saturn ion w…

Customer Question
Just replaced shifter knob...

Just replaced shifter knob and boot in 2002 saturn ion w manual trans. The shifting was fine but after we replaced the knob and boot now has trouble going into 1st or 2nd. Pops out of first when starting unless you hold k=shifter in place...

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

What noise?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Did you see the post?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Transmissions
12/5/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Make sure the shifter boot is not binding up the shifter causing it to pop out of gear or causing issues holding it in gear.IN some cases this can be too tight causing this issue here.If this is or was checked already and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

How do I check for binding? Take it apart again?

If there is any way you can pull back or remove the boot again to see if it then shifts in and out properly with no issues this will help determine if the boot is the cause for sure.This is usually the best way to check it.But if this was not an issue until the boot was replaced most likely it is causing the shifter to bind up causing this fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Automotive Mechanic