Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just bought a used audi a4. the transmission is bad and the…

Customer Question
Just bought a used...

Just bought a used audi a4. the transmission is bad and the car won't drive. what are my steps? It's my first car

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Never is what the guy said

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your A4?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your A4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm a 17 year old kid. I'm thinking about getting the car towed to my house, and then I have no idea what to do. I'm pretty handy with tools so if it's an option I will totally do it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Ok the guy last drove it 2 weeks ago. you think I need a new transmission or new oil sorry for these questions haha

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/30/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor replied 7 months ago
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Hello my name is***** is common for the transmission to fail in this vehicle. I usually start with draining the fluid. On the transmission is a drain plug. I would drain the fluid and see how dirty it is and if there is metal in it. If there is then it needs to be replaced or rebuilt. If the fluid is fine then try refilling it with the correct fluid. You will need a pump in order to refill it through the drain plug. If the problem continues then it will need a transmission. If you need more help let me know.