Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The transmission works fine but when in the passing gear(?)

Customer Question
The transmission works fine...

The transmission works fine but when in the passing gear(?) it will not drop out of it. I have to pull over and stop and then the car will run fine again. Transmission problem or is there an easy fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Red and proper level

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1994 awd with v8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not myself. will take and have the trans serviced but scared of being ripped off, which has happened in the past.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/28/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Pete, Automotive Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Automotive Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Depending on the model of your vehicle here this is usually a fault with a shift solenoid not unlocking causing this issue.I have seen several shift solenoids cause this type of fault needing replaced.In some cases, it can be just debris build up in the transmission valve body itself causing this and a simple transmission fluid flush will remove the debris and can correct this in some cases.

I would have fault codes checked to see if any codes are set with this fault here.If no codes are set then the solenoids and valve body need to be tested to pinpoint the fault.This will require a multi meter and usually a transmission fluid pressure test gauge to test these to locate and repair this fault.

If it is a solenoid it may run up to around $350 to have replaced in some cases.If it is a valve body your looking at over $1000 to have repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete