Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am inquiring about a leak coming from my 2003 Chrysler PT…

Good Morning-I am inquiring about...
Good Morning-I am inquiring about a leak coming from my 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser....... it is in the front center of car. It's darker in color and I am unsure what it is. I have checked all fluids ie oil, coolant, transmission. Oil is a little darker, coolant is full, and transmission is red in color. All fluids are at the right level.The weather has changed from like 50's to 20's so I am just trying to get an idea. I don't have any overheating with the car.
11/22/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request.Please stand by.

Is the fluid thick like oil or thin like water?

I am not sure. It looks like it leaks a bit and then stops. By the time I see the leak it's dried.

Does it leak when engine is running or when it sits for a little bit?

When it sits for a bit.

Have you checked the coolant reservoir too?

I have checked all fluids and all are where they are supposed to be. Not low or at the minimum line. I just checked all colors of fluid as well. Coolant has been mixed with green and yellow so I get a funny color, oil is brown but not black, transmission fluid is reddish pink, and power steering is light tan. It leaked a quarter size yesterday afternoon when sitting about 8 hours and leaked about the same sitting overnight. When I just checked the ground from sitting for about 3 hours, nothing has leaked.

Do you notice the leak more under the radiator side or under engine?

It's more like right in the middle of the two front tires.

Only dark color fluid that can leak from the area is engine oil. It could just be a small seapage taht collects at one point and drips are a while. Since the seapage is small and slow the oil level might notget affected for a while.

Could colder weather cause this?

Defibnately. Cold weather can cause old/ weak seals to leak.

Okay, that makes some sense. Our temps went from 50/60 to 20's. Would an oil change helps this?

Not really. But using an oil stabilizer treatment like lucas can help.

Okay, I will try that. Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it!

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh
Will do and thank you again for your responses. I appreciate your time. Have a great day!