Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On a 2005 6.0 powerstroke, Ran bad, put all new injectors…

Customer Question
On a 2005 6.0 powerstroke...
On a 2005 6.0 powerstroke, Ran bad, put all new injectors in, started and ran good, drove it out, and 2 weeks later it will not start. Pulled it into the warm shop overnight, cranks good, has 50psi fuel pressure, ICP goes to 12-1400 after cranking a bit... it does a slight hickup at that point like it may try to fire but almost nothing. Tried another pcm, ficm to no avail.unplugged ICP, no diff. all glow plugs work. CMP & CKP are synced while cranking, FICM is synced as well. What else????
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/21/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey sorry, i m off line today, but let me look into it and get back to you with info you provided by this evening or tomorrow

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Hey.. did you find out something?

i look into it and asked few people, since all has been changed , i honestly do not know on this one , sorry for the delay,

I m going to opt out of your question and open it for other expert to assist on it ,maybe they have ran into it before

sorry happy thanks giving

Transmission Mechanic: Scott W, Technician replied 7 months ago
Scott W
Scott W, Technician

H​ello my name is ***** ***** the engine tries to fire? I would remove the secondary fuel filter cap, and turn key on to fill the housing, then turn key off, and use a remote starter and crank the engine over and look for bubbles in the housing, let me know if this has been done or if there are bubbles while cranking.

I actually did that test already. Not a bubble in the fuel in housing. I've seen a few of these trucks in my day and it acts exactly like it's not getting fuel... I loosened a banjo bolt at the head and there is pressure there. It doesn't try to fire for a few seconds until the hpo pressure comes up then you can here the truck kinda sputter and hear the truck almost try to start.

Are you getting any codes stored?

Can you hear the fuel injectors clicking while cranking?

It had a #8 injector circuit high code but I unplugged that injector and it didn't help.

Circuit high code means the resistance is high or open, unplugging it would be the same. I would test the fuel injector with a ohmmeter and see if the resistance is in spec, or just plug another one into #8 and rerun the injector test. Here is a hard start no start sheet, make sure all of these pids are within specs while cranking.

I did a buzz test and they all came out good except for #8. But if #8 is bad, shouldn't the truck still start?

It should start, we see open circuits or bad injectors, misfiring all the time, and they always start.

That is what I thought too. It's got me baffled. That's why I came to JA. :) All pressures and volts seem to be good and it turns on the injectors obviously if it starts to sputter when HPO pressure comes up.. I'm at a loss...

Are you getting any codes stored, 6.0 are real good about setting codes if they don't start.

Nothing other then #8 inj related to the engine. There is a t case and abs code but nothing related to engine.

Have you done a fuel sample test, make sure there is no contamination, gas ect?

I didn't do that. The stuff in fuel bowl looks sparkling clean.. Nothing cloudy or gritty. It ran good when I drove it out of the shop and now after a couple weeks it will not start...

Is this your truck or a customers truck? Was it even picked up?

W​ere these injectors bought from Ford?

No they were not bought at Ford. But I have used lots of the same brand before without issues. I can see one could be bad or worst case 2 but it should still start. It did run for 15-20 min after injectors were installed. then sat for a few weeks and now it will not start even with either in a warm shop and all specs are showing good. What can it be? I pumped out some fuel and it looks clean and smells right and is clear. Can a short in wiring harness someplace cause this? Or would I see some code?