Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

C240 2000 Mercedes -- sometimes gear shift will not move to…

Customer Question
C240 2000 Mercedes --...

C240 2000 Mercedes -- sometimes gear shift will not move to reverse -- when I turn the key off and back on the gear shift will then move to reverse

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Same age as car 17yr

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C240 yourself? What have you tried so far?

AMCO look at it and says it senser computer in the stick and want $1400 to replace it ---- is that a reasonable price

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Transmissions
11/20/2017
Transmission Mechanic: Marty, Bosch Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, Bosch Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post the last 8 digits of your vin number?

WDBRF61JX 2E006344

Thank you. $1400 to replace the shifter is about right but maybe a little high. The shifter retails for $715 and takes about 4 hours to install. Depending on their labor rate the repair would run about $1150 - $1400. It is very important that the technician checked the signals to the shifter when the shifter could not be moved. He need to make sure that he was getting a signal from the brake switch and that there were no fault codes that would indicate some other problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Transmission Mechanic: Marty, Bosch Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

Just checking in. Do you need any more help with this?