Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The o.d. flashes after you drive it 10 mins and shifts hard.

The o.d. flashes after...

The o.d. flashes after you drive it 10 mins and shifts hard

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2011 with only 12,000 miles does not leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changing the o.d. sensor on it

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Matt, Engineer

Hello

A flashing OD light means that there's a fault code lodged within the TCM

ideally the next step would be to plug in a scan tool to pull off the fault code and so point to the issue

If thats not an option then I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

Matt, Engineer
i have done that i have code P0735 check all wires still flashing
what do you no about code does it mean any thing to you

Hello

Ok to get the P0735 then there is a problem shifting into 5th gear, or whilst driving in 5th gear
either the 5th gear solenoid is sticking or there's a mechanical issue

I'd suggest to try some fresh oil and clean the connections as suggested and go from there

Matt, Engineer