Transmissions

Have Transmission Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Transmissions

2013 XC90, 127k miles. Shifts hard into 2nd. Transmission

service (fluid) at Volvo dealership...
2013 XC90, 127k miles. Shifts hard into 2nd. Transmission service (fluid) at Volvo dealership at 125k miles. Software upgrade this week, still shifts hard into 2nd. Thanks.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Not leaking, OEM from 2013.
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have only taken it to the dealer, all scheduled service.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Transmission only occasionally shifts hard into 2nd. When it does, it feels like the engine and tranny will fall out of this Volvo.
11/19/2017
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If fluid quality and software have been ruled out then the issue is definitely internal in the transmission. It's possible that you have a clutch or valve body issue but it's possible that the clutch adaptives have been driven out of range by degraded fluid. If the adaptives were not reset when doing the work then I would recommend doing so and give it a few hundred miles to let them relearn. If the problem returns or never goes away then the trans will require internal repair.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We have had this XC90 serviced on time, every time. Most recent was a transmission service with fluid change, per Volvo's schedule. Almost immediately after the transmission service, the shifting problem surfaced. My guess is that the fluid change loosened some debris in the transmission and fouled a component. This is the last Volvo I will own,

Changing fluid won't damage a transmission contrary to what you may hear. If a transmission fails after a fluid change it was going to anyway, as long as damage wasn't done by the person doing the work. I would recommend having the adaptives reset and see what happens from there. If the problem started after the fluid was changed then I would also have the fluid level rechecked and verify that the proper fluid was used.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Okay. Thanks. Volvos of the last 15 year models don't have such a good track record for transmissions. Think I will transition to another brand.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician